Monday, February 20, 2012

Naughtiness-Part 2 and I love Joan Elliott!

I have spent four evenings stitching only my square of my Joan Elliott round robin. I know that I should be getting all those boxes done first, but I just can't stop myself! This little fairy is turning out to be quite a quick stitch for me. (And that's saying a lot because I stitch as slow as molasses in January!)

If I'm not sucked into the scouting black hole, I may even finish her by the end of the week. If so, that'll give me about a week and a half to finish the boxes. It may still be close, however, and as the mailing date draws near I may be pulling some all-nighters.

Yes, I know it looks washed out.

I have decided that I just adore Joan Elliott!! I love the movement that her designs have, and I love how she can get so much expression in just a few small stitches. My only small gripe is that I'm not a big fan of the stair-step backstitching. I'd rather it was all smooth, the way she backstitches skin. As I stitch more of her pieces, I may experiment with smoothing it out myself. I also saw an example of a lady that backstitched with Kreinik instead. It seemed to make the jagged edges more subtle in appearance.

So, between Joan Elliott and Nora Corbett and all you fantastic stitchers out there, I have no shortage of heroes to worship!

3 comments:

Eyani Ryou said...

She's so pretty!!! I'm the same still not done all the boxes been too wrapped up in TOT fairy! However will concentrate fully on the RR this week!!! Can't wait!

Jo who can't think of a clever nickname said...

She looks great! I quite agree about the skin. I have smoothed Green Goddess's skin as it's for my Mum and she said she didn't like the stepped look. Mum doesn't like backstitch much anyway (the look not stitching it) and thinks it should be unobtrusive!
Keep up with the boxes, I've done 2.5 flowers and zero boxes myself!

Unknown said...

You have made amazing progress!